Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Use Of the CAPS LOCK Comforted Me

Facilitating independence with diabetes management in the pre-teen years is causing me much anxiety.

Joe was at an overnight hockey camp last weekend.  Camp involved multiple on-ice sessions, a water park visit, and foods Joe does not typically eat.  He spent the night in a condo with 4 of his hockey peers and a "condo" (chaperone) dad.  I stayed in a hotel close by.  I slumbered with my phone in my hand and a watchful eye on the Dexcom Share.

Here is a texting sequence that went down on the first night of camp.  His ability to use the CAPS LOCK button was comforting.




Heart pounding and mind racing...I threw on my clothes, ran through the hotel, ran to my car, drove to the condo and found Joe sprawled out on a bed, surrounded by his peers and the "condo" dad.  My eyes stung with tears.

A vulnerable day-in-the-life.

15 comments:

Pam said...

Reyna, you are the SuperMom or IronMom of the T-1s. I would have had a stroke...but I'm real old!

Unknown said...

Haha! I'm feeling old... And tired:) this is more difficult than when I had total control!

katy said...

OMG OMG OMG. I haven't been able to read your blog for what feels like DECADES and now here you are and with this thriller. OMG.

Unknown said...

I'm struggling with the preteen/independence stuff. It's difficult and has lured me back to writing.😁

Holly said...

I've missed you!! ❤️❤️❤️
And that would have given me a HEART ATTACK!!!!
Good grief. Bless your heart! Hope it's all better now. Hugs, Reyna!

Misty said...

Oh my Reyna!!! My heart skipped a couple beats as I read this. And I am right there with you. This preteen/independence stuff is so hard!!
Thank goodness for technology! <3 <3 <3

Joanne said...

You're back! I missed you! Sorry that it's been so rough... I'm dreading these coming years. Sending you hugs and hopes for better days.

Sarah said...

We are not there yet, what a scary moment. I hope the rest of the trip was a lot less eventful and Joe had a great weekend of Hockey. So, technology question - does he call you ever with his #'s or just text? And BTW it is so great to hear from you.

Liz said...

Great to see you posting again, I've missed you! Glad that Joe was ok and that you were close by. Scary stuff when they start to take over control. One day at a time....one crisis at a time....one prayer at a time!!

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Holy craptastic. As I read the intro, my thoughts were - well you just can't throw in more variables to make this more complicated. For some reason, I thought this was going to have a more comforting ending. I was just thinking about this very issue this morning. Caleb is at the same age and we are presented with this scenario more and more. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES! THIS is that crap that is HARD - overnights. I just haven't found the solution. Hugs and more hugs.

Unknown said...

I have missed u 2! Took an hour and a half to get his number up. Then he was 400 in the morning😜.

Unknown said...

Agreed! I'm so thankful for the share.

Unknown said...

I've missed u 2. Was reading your blog this morning. You r such an awesome mama.

Unknown said...

He rarely calls; only if he wants something immediately. Lol.

Unknown said...

It was so much easier when I had complete control.