Saturday, January 9, 2016

He Needed A Little "Back Up"

One of the main reasons I write is so others living with t1d feel a little less alone.  While my stories are short, little vignettes of sorts, I hope you get a glimpse of the victories and challenges we face.  Not all stories necessarily reflect us in a positive light.  This is real.  Diabetes has not only impacted Joe's life, or my life, or Dave's life...but it, at times, impacts Bridget's, as well.

A couple of hours ... ago..

I was reading.  I was reading upstairs in my room.  I think I maybe heard some kind of mumble-y call or muffled yell, but I thought it was Bridget and Joe talking about a show they were watching downstairs.  I did not pay the noise much attention.  How long it went on for?  I'm not sure.

Finally...

A very clear "Mom! Dad!  I need help."  And then something was yelled like "23".  My middle-aged brain then put it all together.  Joe is calling for help, he is low, and his number is 23.

As I came downstairs, the scene is set with a sprawled out on the couch Joe, who has a fist-full of Skittles held to his mouth.  He cannot eat them fast enough.  Bridget is curled up on the other couch, the scene is rank with sibling turbulence. Apparently Bridget told Joe to "be quiet", during his multiple calls for help.  This has Joe up in arms, but he was unable to expand on the situation, due the the low treatment of trying to chew and swallow like 20+ Skittles all in one mouthful; not an easy feat.

Once Joe swallowed the masticated Skittles, the sibling conflict continued.  He was quite upset Bridget told him to be quiet, when he was calling for some help; for some, as he put it - "backup".  I expressed some concern over her lack of reaction and compassion.  She left the room.

Joe was shaking.  Joe was hot.  I've never seen him have a low where he felt warm or hot.  The discomfort was motivating enough that he silently made his way to the freezer for peas.  He then sprawled back out on the couch and plopped the bag of frozen peas on his forehead.

I made sure he was OK.  I then went to seek out Bridget.  She was upset with me; with Joe.  She has lived with diabetes in the household for all these 9+ years along with Dave, Joe, and I.  She knows lows are dangerous.  She knows he needs sugar.  She explained her side of the scenario to me ... Joe had his sugar and he had called for help multiple times.  She could hear my footsteps as I was making my way down the stairs; she knew help was coming.  She did not see the need to "do" anything at that point in time.  She did feel it was time for him to keep quiet so she could focus on her show, Grey's Anatomy.  Keep in mind she's a high school student and athlete.  She goes to school full time and practices and performs 6 days/week; she does not get much down-time.  



Diabetes is difficult.  Not always.  Sometimes we are smooth sailing over here and I kinda forget we are dealing with it.  There are times, however, it's not easy for any of us... especially when we are just trying to enjoy a relaxing moment.  I get it Bridget.

Honesty about t1d in our day-in-the-life.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

My sister had medical issues (still does) and - it got annoying some times. That's all I'm going to say. Hugs to Bridget and to Joe - and you!

Sarah said...

I am glad you take the time to talk with her about it, too. I have been saddened by the fact that my in-laws never really talked about it with one another and my sister in law is still miffed about the toll her brother (my husband)'s diabetes had on her growing up. She was in essence told to "suck it up" all the time when diabetes threw a wrench into a moment or plan. When our son was diagnosed instead of being compassionate she became more focused on how "fair" life is and how her children had equal needs so whenever we were together for a family function and diabetes came into play she'd make sure we all knew about her children's needs, too...as if they shouldn't be left out of specific care. When he was diagnosed with celiac she got really upset and just stopped trying and didn't really want to learn about any of it. It has led to a slow sad disintegration of large family gatherings. So, there's that - but honestly I just wanted you to know that I am happy to hear that you allow her to express her frustrations without judgement or ignoring either.