Sunday, December 26, 2010

Even on CHRISTMAS


A couple of notes:

A special "Thanks" to the Houston Family for the Ornapod. It will grace our tree yearly as a reminder that we are not alone even on Christmas. Not sure why I decided to pound out this post this morning. I think it is to highlight how "d" is part of everything, everyday. Managing it does not take a "break"....even on Christmas. I wrote the "d" management parts in red (a Christmas-y and blood-y color). I am a bit twisted.

And now...the post:

My eye lids were heavy. I was patiently waiting. I was sitting and watching TV. It was Christmas Eve. The children were tucked in their beds. They were ready for slumber to ensue; knowing that when they woke Santa would have come and gone.

8pm - Joe's blood glucose is 323, a correction dose of insulin is given.

Joe is asleep. This doesn't surprise me. Just as Joe attacks his days with gusto, he sleeps with equal vigor and tenacity. Bridget is belting out Christmas Carols while laying in her bed; her eyes sparkle and dance in the dim lit glow from the lights on her mini-Christmas tree. She is excited and having a difficult time falling to sleep.

So, I wait.

By 9pm Bridget is now asleep. I am able to unleash my Santa-fury, as Dave "stands guard" watching TV. I am setting up Beyblades...I am displaying a mannequin doll head with make-up and hair accessories, damn she looks a little creepy. Gloves, candies, Japanese erasers, lottery tickets, whacky beads, Phineas and Ferb Silly Bandz, etc... etc... are stuffed into stockings. Oscar gets a retractable leash. Shit, I didn't get anything for the cat, Max. I'll have Dave scrounge him up a can of tuna or something.

I am done.

10pm - Joe's blood glucose is 190, I let Dave know that he should check him in an hour. I am afraid that Joe will continue to drop from the correction dose of insulin that I gave two hours ago.

Santa goes to bed.

11pm - Dave checks Joe's blood sugar. It is 99 and 8 grams of carbs are dispensed.

2:30am - A "Happy Christmas Eve or Merry Christmas Daddy... I am not sure which it is...what time is it" in a lispy-Joe-voice is heard, as Dave goes in for the night check. Joe's blood glucose is 59. 15 grams of carbs are given. Dave lets Joe know it is Christmas.

Joe doesn't go back to bed. I can hear pages of books being turned as he reads for the next few hours. We had a pact that no one was heading downstairs until 6am. To Joe's credit, he played and read in his room quietly for 3 hours. Impressive.

6am - Joe's blood sugar is 118. No one is heading downstairs to the basement to appreciate the "bounty" until a blood sugar is obtained and coffee is brewing!

Stockings are undone. Beyblades are battling. Freaky mannequin head doll is now made up to look like a cheap Ho. Yes, this coming from the gal who dons teal eyeshadow.

8:50am - Joe's blood sugar is 148. Dave prepped eggs, hash browns, bacon and assembled breakfast burritos. Joe's food is measured, carb counted, and he is bolused with insulin to cover the meal.

The house now becomes a massive assembly zone. The Galaxy Marble Mania takes over. Joe has two Lego projects going on at once. The mannequin doll head now gets an equally interesting hair-do to accompany her make-up job.

11am - Joe wants a sugar cookie snack. Fine. It is Christmas after-all! Blood glucose is 223. Sugar cookie is consumed. Insulin is bolused.

Bridget is now sewing, practicing her back-stitch. She hasn't broken out her new sewing machine yet...but, get ready Haitian Children! Non-stapled pillows are headed your way! Joe continues to leave a path of destruction in his wake, as every new item must be opened and assembled at a break-neck pace. Dave continues to assemble Joe's Galaxy Marble Mania from hell. The body-less, headed mannequin doll is still hanging in the living room creeping me out.

1pm - Joe's blood sugar is 170.

Joe heads outside in candy-cane stripped PJs with a coat, boots, and a sock monkey hat pulled tightly over his head. He is wielding a hammer in one hand and a sack of geodes in another. He is ready to crack open the rock cavities to view the crystal-draped interiors.

Dave continues to curse at the Galaxy Marble Mania.

4pm - Joe's blood sugar is 60. 20 grams of carbohydrates are given, as we are heading out to play hockey.

Dave just finished the Marble Run. He celebrates with a beer. Bridget is making chocolate candies with her new "Chocolate Factory".


Joe and I head outside.


We skate. Joe wears goalie pads and wants me to take shots on him. He is not happy if I don't take advantage of rebounds. He scolds me, as he states he wants me to "challenge" him. It was a blast. An hour later I head in to prepare my portion of the dinner. Dave is grilling Tri-tip. I make spicey pasta, asparagus, crescent rolls, and a salad.

5:30 - Joe's pre dinner blood glucose is 63. I have him boost with 1/2 a sugar cookie as dinner is still about 10 minutes out. We sit, we do a combined grace/toast and we eat. Pasta is measured. Milk is measured. The crescent roll is carb counted. The carbs are added. The pump is programed to bolus. A combo bolus is used to handle the pasta. Desert is eaten...another sugar cookie. The pump is programed. More insulin is dispensed.

We watched Santa Buddies as a family. The children are a bit tearful at the end of the movie. In part I believe due to the movie's message and in part because the day, Christmas, is over. I explain that every day can and should be like Christmas. To live life in such a way that your heart feels "good" in response to your actions and reactions. Bridget remains tearful.

8pm - Joe's blood sugar is 294. A correction dose of insulin is programed into his pump. Insulin is delivered.

Joe is fast asleep. Bridget is still crying. She and I fall asleep in my bed together holding hands.

11pm - Joe's blood sugar is 295. A correction dose of insulin is programed into his pump. Insulin is delivered. An alarm clock is set for 2 am ... for the next blood sugar check.

Christmas is over.

Diabetes is not.

Hour to hour, meal to meal, activity to activity, blood sugars are checked, sugar is dispensed, carbohydrates are counted, insulin is administered. This cycle is repeated in two to three hour increments...day after day...week after week...month after month...year after year... Until a cure is found.

A day-in-the-life of parenting a child with Type 1 Diabetes...even on Christmas.


Related Link:

17 comments:

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

It is relentless. I love how you just do what you do though, and deal with whatever diabetes has to dish out along the way.

Christmas eve night I did a Pod change in the middle of the night bc bgs were not doing what I expected and I just didn't want d to get in the way Christmas morning. Luckily Caleb went right back to sleep and barely remembers it the next day. Did I miss a nap of joes in there somewhere with him being up all that time? Lol

It's times like these that make it ever so obvious that there is never a break.
Ever.

Merry Christmas! Yawn.

tara said...

It sounds like a wonderful Christmas. I wish D could take a break for just a day. Love you

Tracy1918 said...

Hi Reyna! Your day sounds like ours. Everything from the d-management to Santa Buddies. (Such a cute movie!)

Hey...question for you....how many basal settings do you have for Joe? Matthew is running high overall and spiking 3pm...then again by 9pm.

Of course, we haven't been able to do much basal testing with Christmas, but I was curious about what works for Joe.

Love you!

Tracy said...

Love this. I hate that D is there ALL the time too. I was just going to blog about how it entered the Christmas scene for us too.

Maybe I will have time to get my post out later. I will link to you. :)

Penny said...

Oh this makes me tired just reading about another child's d and their day. It was not better here - we were aiming for the stratosphere with numbers in the 300+ twice. Yeah, it sucked.
Oh and by the way, hint for next year - Santa in this house assembles the gifts way before Christmas. Everything the kiddos open from him is already assembled and ready to play. It makes for a happy Santa on Christmas morning! Am I anal for doing this? if so, it's probably the one thing I am anal about.
Glad you had a merry one, despite of all the numbers.

Pam said...

Merry Christmas, Reyna! It sounds like you had a terrific day, D be damned. Our numbers were strikingly similar to yours, culminating with highs in the 300s overnight that needed to be tackled every 2 hours. But that's ok. Have a great vacation week!

PS - For the past 2 years I've tried to get my husband to construct a rink in the back yard. Now I'm using your last blog post as more motivation for next year!

Heidi =) said...

Yes it sounds a bit like our day as well (we had breakfast burritos too). I'm so glad you had a great day. Your Bridgett and my Megan sound like they have similar hearts and personalities. Much love to you and yours!

Kelly said...

Sounds like you a had a great Christmas! Maddison got a sewing machine too....Im screwed, I have no idea how to help her learn to use the thing! Joe's numbers were about like mine and Maddisons for Christmas! ((HUGS)) Love ya Reyna!

Alexis Nicole said...

Well Fuck you diabetes! I thought and even prayed it was just us. Bad site=340=0.2 ketones=tummyache at 3am. Grr. Your xmas sounded amazing and your nack for writing is insane. I adore you! Merry merry xmas and lots of hugs! Love ya!

connie said...

I think we can all relate...D doesn't ever take a vacation, that's a hard pill to swallow. I wish we could give our kiddos a break once in a while! Christmas morning arrives and the first thing on my mind is bg's, insulin and carb counting x's 2...arghh!

It sounds like you had a beautiful and blessed day (despite the demands of d), Joe is so lucky to have such an amazing mama!!!

Hallie Addington said...

I have a very similar post planned! Glad you had such a great day! I wish it would just give us a break ONCE.... I think those heads are creepy, too. Especially at night!

Donna said...

What a wonderfully well-written post, dear Reyna! I laughed, and like Bridget, I had tears in my eyes at the end. Thank you for sharing your day with us.

Unknown said...

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy to hear that you had a fantastic day enjoying all your new loot :)

Yeah, yeah, the numbers...YO YO YO YO!!!! I'm hoping the next 24 hours pass quickly, because I can't stand the graph.

Here comes 2011!!!!!

Unknown said...

@ Tracy 1918...We have several basals for Joe...currently I am running 8 different rates...I have had as many as 12 going when he was younger (LOL). He spikes BIG TIME right when he goes to bed...so that is his highest basal rate.. I posted specifics here:

http://betabuddies.blogspot.com/2010/10/naked-pancreas-meme-beta-buddy-style.html

And...many of our blogging buddies posted a "Naked Pancreas" MeMe as well...

Love to you too.

Heather said...

That is a wonderfully written post. Wouldn't it be nice if Christmas didn't end and D did....
Sounds like they really enjoyed their gifts!! Glad you had a wonderful Christmas. :)

Amy said...

Maybe if all of us get together enough money we can send 'D' on a far away cruise next Christmas?! ;) (I like my little fatasy world so don't spoil it by telling me it can't happen, K?)

I love hearing about you and skating. I can almost see the two of you giving each other the stink eye and trying to out-manuever each other in order to sink a puck in the goal.

You are an awesome mom, Reyna. Merry Christmas!!!!

Sysy said...

You really amaze me. When I read your posts I secretly wish you'd write a book. I really do. Keep doing what you do :)