Monday, May 20, 2013

I Don't Have All The Answers

"I knew about the highs and not taking care of my diabetes and losing arms and legs...but I did not realize I could feel so sick."  ~ Joe talking to me about his death~ate~a~cracker ketone sickness feeling from the other day.


"...so without insulin, would I just feel like that?  I would feel that sick until I died?"

*Uhh oh.  Not the dying business.  Please don't ask.  Please don't ask.  Please don't ask.*

"How long do ya think that would go on for?  The dying?  A year?"

*Ohhhh Man.* 

*Of course, he had to ask.*

"I dunno Joe.  Maybe a week or two?"

No one or nothing can really prepare you for all the conversations you will have with your children.  Limb loss and death have got to be amongst the toughest.  This talk of arm-less-ness and leg-less-ness and life-less-ness ("less-ness-es" added in to "lighten" the mood here) made me squirm as a parent.  What to say and how to say it; I do not know. 

Yesterday...




...Joe "raced" to CURE diabetes.

A day-in-the-life of  talking with Joe.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Yeah, what happened to the good ol days... talking to your kids about the birds and the bees?? I want those days back. Screw the death and toes falling off.

Did you change your blog, BTW?? Everything's all moved around. I had to back out and come back in... lol