Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Hill

"The way I look at it guys is that we have one of two options." We were faced with a dilemma on our "Adventure Ride" yesterday. Joe and I were in-line skating. Bridget was biking.

Bridget was glinting her eyes in the face of the blaring sun while trying to focus on me. Joe was crumpled by the side of a heavily traffic-ed road taking on sugar.

"We can either turn around and go back home on the same path that we took to get here. It is mostly down hill. It would be easier...blah...blah..."

"OR?" they chimed in.

"We can wait until Joe feels better and continue on up the hill. It is a big one. It will be challenging...blah...blah...blahbitty..."

As she was staring straight ahead and straddling her bike at the base of the steeply graded hill with the traffic whizzing by her, Bridget quietly stated under her breath "I hate Diabetes".

In a calm and amiable tone, Joe evenly stated "Me too Bridget."

I said nothing.

In unison, they agreed to take on the hill.

A day-in-the-life.

18 comments:

Colleen said...

Me too...

Lora said...

Why did that just make my eyes water?

Beth said...

We can do this! So proud of you and your strong kids!

Penny said...

You have great, honest, kiddos Reyna!

Meagan said...

Ditto. I'm with them all the way on that one.

Love that they chose to take on the hill! You have some amazing kiddies Reyna. :)

Our Diabetic Warrior said...

It makes me mad that our little people have to take the brunt for their diabetes. You can't yell at the diabetes, so the person that has it takes it on. My kids have mumbled things under their breath too.

I'm so glad they tackled that hill and smeared diabetes all over the ground they were riding on!!!!!!

Amy said...

Love it that they both decided to take on the hill anyway... take that, diabetes!

Alexis Nicole said...

Me too guys!! But by taking that hill you made D your...ok not age appropriate but you get it :)

Karen said...

Boo to diabetes. But a big YAY for showind diabetes who is the boss and taking on that hill anyway!!

Unknown said...

Take on that hill together, sweet kids. You can do it!!!

Cindy said...

Oh, Reyna, I love your children! They are amazing!

Hey, I keep meaning to ask you...would Bridget be interested in taking up crochet or loom knitting? I know the PICUs take hat donations for the babies and it would be an outlet for Bridget's desire to help. Just an idea I thought I'd share.

Scully said...

That was the best short story ever. What made it so great? That you guys conquered the hill. Thank you.

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

Oh, me, too! Way to stick it to D and take on that hill!
Love you guys!!

Sysy said...

This kind of story reminds me how deep little kids are. They don't always seem like it when we see them playing, but they're very deep, intelligent, strong...your kids are amazing and I'm glad you shared this with us. They took on the hill. Makes me want to do the same, with whatever "hill" I come across.

Amy said...

Your kids are the bestest. I am not surprised they wanted to tackle 'the hill'. The come from strong genes . . . both physically and mentally. Have you told them lately just how lucky they are to have such a Super Mama who is also an awschum pancreas????? btw, I hate Diabetes, too.

Hallie Addington said...

Your kids are awesome, Reyna! How proud were you in that moment??? Great job, Mama P!

sky0138 said...

me too!! and you have the most awesomest kids Reyna...I'm so glad they took on the hill!

Misty said...

Oh those sweet little loves!